Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thursday Thoughts: Loss, Heavy Metal and Mom's Love


  There are some projects that are more than just an embroidery job, this is one of those projects that made its own path.
 These T shirts were brought to me by a dear customer of mine and I was really honored that she wanted me to work on this for her.
 I can't imagine the pain of losing a child let alone deciding what items that were the most dear to them and honor their life, loves and hobbies.
  Her son was a lover of some pretty heavy metal music and his mom brought to me his most beloved t shirts that he wore daily. She admitted that these not her favorite images but they were his and he loved the music and it was the one thing that made him happy.
  This was a long thinking process for me over the last four month (yep...4 months) I started out many times trying to put them into neat squares or lining them up in some kind of order step by step and it just was not happening, that's when I just let it go and did what the shirts compelled me to do. So I let every wrinkle every thread break and every skip happen, embroidery wasn't backed to keep the rough look and colors were randomly choose from the spools on the machine. The center image was the only one that received special interest as it was the most thread bear to the point of disintegrating and probably his most prized so the collar and the image were kept together.
 The wings on the center image are a story in itself, three times I tried to do this and it came out of the hoop twice and I lined them back up in the computer program but still ended up uneven, so I said dang it, you deserve wings and then let it be and after this it ran the rest of it just fine.
 I will roll this up, give it to his mom and let her look at it in private at her home on Saturday.
I don't know if this is what she was thinking but I hope that her son is represented in my interpretation of his life. I do know his life was not perfect and there is beauty in that in its own way just like this piece...not perfect but creative and hopefully sentimental.

Thanks for visiting....
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Struttin my stuff: Orange Peacocks

A coat I have had hanging around for a bit, my daughter is getting married and the theme is peacock and this coat just screamed having...