Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thriftshop Thursday: Marry Me Ragnar

Well I was very inspired by the Bunad show I attended with the family and my passion for designs of my Norwegian heritage and of course my hot warrior Ragnar from the Vikings show on History Chanel ;-).
I was not really looking for a project but when you are not looking, of course it shows up.
There it was this beautiful blank canvas of inspiration in the photo below...a plain Jane waiting for some lovin.
100% Linen and actually well taken care of all mine for $5.00
it's long its probably from the early 80's but it is a classic.
In order to get those beautiful embroidered ropes on there this garment had to be deconstructed by choosing a side to split open and lie flat for hooping.
I also chose to use regular surger thread for the design to keep the mat look with the fine linen.
This dress was hooped 16 times in a 17" hoop to get the simple embroidery design on it as a repeat pattern.
This project took about 6 hours if I added all the time blocks up. It takes a fair amount of focus to keep everything in the same spaces and lines the music of choice when I work on this much "brain work" is a wonderful site
this is what I listen to most of the mornings too. Here is the process narrowed down for you.
There is a lot to be said about very simple one line designs used in the proper format, they offer so much variety and they almost always add a very sophisticated look to nice fabrics.
Sometimes less is better when you are working on projects....and sometimes you just feel
the need to go "whole hog". Now if I can talk my husband into taking me to 
the Minnesota Renaissance Festival this would be the place to wear it!

Embroidery design provided by: http://www.theonlystitch.com/

Thanks for visiting!
Carolyn

What can I make for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Struttin my stuff: Orange Peacocks

A coat I have had hanging around for a bit, my daughter is getting married and the theme is peacock and this coat just screamed having...