Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Bunad Bonanza at Mall of America, You Betcha!

 Ohhhhhh boy what a visual extravaganza of fun! I was lucky enough to catch the Daughters of Norway Bunad Festival this month at the Bloomington MN, Mall of America with my mom, sister in law and niece.
I took waaaaayyy to many blurry pictures to post and was trying to listen and shoot at the same time...not a good thing for a visual person!
All of the ladies were so very nice to stop and let me take a photo of their fine crewel work and the many different designs that were represented. Each region in Norway has a traditional costume done in specific colors and flower/abstract designs. The groups shown here are very proud of their authenticity and workwomanship (my new word) I did stop a few women where under the "certain age" that deems a Bunad owner/wearer these ladies were wearing their mothers Bunads in memory of them as some have only been worn one or two times by the original owner it was a very personal moment for some of them and they were very proud to wear them in memory of their mothers. 

A Bunad is a personal and financial investment and can cost up to 2000.00 dollars, never mind the amount of time invested by the "creator" it is truly a labor of love.
I will not give to many facts on regions as this time as I myself am just learning and I want to be correct in the true regions, styles and like good Norwegian if you don't know EXACTLY what yer talking about then ya better just keep it to yourself , here is a link for you to go investigate and see just how involved these garments are 
I am in awe, as a professional machine embroiderer I love the handwork and was surprised that machine embroidery is never used on these garments...it must be that stoic Scandinavian thing...
nothing easy comes with good reward: "Earn It" lol.







Thanks for visiting!
Carolyn

What Can I Make For You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Struttin my stuff: Orange Peacocks

A coat I have had hanging around for a bit, my daughter is getting married and the theme is peacock and this coat just screamed having...